Ph.D. NYU - International Early and Silent Film, American Avant-garde Cinema, Hollywood Film Genres, Film and Narrative Theory, Classical Film Theory, Film and Still Photography, Japanese Cinema. Current research on the relation between early cinema and the experience of modernity.
- The Films of Fritz Lang: Allegories of Vision and Modernity, (London: British Film Institute, 2000). (Winner CINEMA & Cie award, 2003.)
- D. W. Griffith and the Origins of American Narrative Film: The Early Years at Biograph, (University of Illinois Press, 1991). (Winner of 1992 Theater Library Association Award).
- An Invention of the Devil? Religion and Early Cinema, co-edited with Roland Cosandey and Andre Gaudreault, (Les Presses de L'Universite? Laval/Editions Payot Lausanne, 1992).
- Pathe 1900: Fragments d'une Filmographie Analytique du Cinema des Premiers Temps, eds. Andre Gaudreault (in collaboration with Tom Gunning and Alain Lacasse), (Paris/Quebec, Presses de la Sorbonne Nouvelle, les Presses de l'Universite Laval, 1993).
- "The Desire and Pursuit of the Hole: Cinema's Obscure Object of Desire", Erotikon eds. Shadi Baretech & Thomas Bartescherer (University of Chicago Press, 2005), pp. 261-277.
- "Poetry in Motion", Forward in This is Called Moving: A Critical Poetics of Film, by Abigail Child (University of Alabama Press, 2005), pp. xi-xxv.
- "An Interview with Tom Gunning", in Visual Culture: The Study of the Visual after the Cultural Turn, eds. Margaret Dikovitskaya (MIT Press, 2004), pp. 173-181.
- "Pictures of Crowd Splendor: The Mitchell and Kenyon Factory Gate Films" in The Lost World of Mitchell & Kenyon: Edwardian Britain on Film, eds. Vanessa Toulmin, Simon Popple and Patrick Russell (British Film Institute, 2004) pp. 49-58. "Ghosts" The Griffith Project Vol. 8 Films Produced in 1914-15 ed. Paolo Cherchi Usai (British Film Institute, 2004) pp. 116-117.
- "Phantasmagoria and the Manufacturing of Illusions and Wonder: Towards a Cultural Optics of the Cinematic Apparatus" in The Cinema, A New Technology for the 20th Century, eds. Andre Gaudreault, Catherine Russell and Pierre Veronneau (Editions Payot Lausanne, 2004) pp. 31-44.
- "Systematizing the Electric Message" in American Cinema's Transitional Era: Audiences, Institutions, Practices, eds. Charlie Keil and Shelly Stamp (Berkeley : University of California Press, 2004), pp. 15- 50.
- "Flickers: On Cinema's Power for Evil" in Bad: Infamy, Darkness, Evil and Slime on the Screen, eds. Murray Pomerance (SUNY Press: Albany, 2004), pp. 21-37.
- "Never Seen This Picture Before; Muybridge in Multiplicity" in Time Stands Still: Muybridge and the Instantaneous Photography Movement, eds. Phillip Prodger (Oxford University Press, 2003) pp. 222-272.
- "Ghosts, Photography and the Modern Body", in The Disembodied Spirit Catalogue, eds. Alison Ferris (Bowdoin College Museum of Art, 2003) pp. 8-19.
- "Death's Marathon," "The Mothering Heart," "The Yaqui Cur," "Her Mother's Oath," "The Sorrowful Shore." in The Griffith Project Vol. 7 Films Produced in 1913, eds. Paolo Cherchi Usai (London, British Film Institute, 2003) pp. 58-83; 86-95.
- "Re-Newing Old Technologies: Astonishment, Second Nature, and the Uncanny in Technology from the Previous Turn-of -the-Century" in Rethinking Media Change The Aesthetics of Transition, eds. David Thorburn and Henry Jenkins (Cambridge: MIT Press 2003), pp. 39-59.
- "Biograph" pp. 71-72; "Bitzer, Wilhelm ("Billy") p. 74; "Camera Movement" pp. 92-95; "Cinema of Attractions" pp. 124-127; "Comedy" pp. 142-145; "Dance Films" pp. 163-164; "Detective Films", pp. 178-181; "Editing: Spatial Relations", pp. 206-209; "Editing: Temporal Relation", pp. 211-214; "Loie Fuller" p. 261; "Griffith, D.W. (David Wark)", pp. 288-289; "Intermediality and Modes of Reception" pp. 324-25; "Lindsay Vachel" p. 391; "Modernity and Early Cinema", pp. 439-442; "Motion Picture Distributing and Sales Company", p. 447; "Motion Picture Patents Company (MPPC)", pp. 447-48, in Encyclopedia of Early Cinema, eds. Richard Abel (Routledge, 2005).
- "Le Voyage dans la Lune" in Enciclopedia del Cinema Dizionario Critico dei Film, eds. Gianluca Farinelli (Instituto della encyclopedia Italiana, 2004) pp. 743-44. "Fritz Lang Calling", in Allegories of Communication: Intermedial Concerns from the Cinema to the Digital, eds. John Fullerton & Jan Olsson (John Libbey Press, 2004) pp. 19-37.