Matthew Jesse Jackson
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley - Contemporary, Postwar European, Soviet and Russian art. Research interests include the theory and practice of the Euro-American historical and neo-avant-gardes; conceptual art; the history of art history; management and performance art; the collaborative and the collective in the contemporary art world; Americanization and critical theory.
- Vision and Communism (The New Press, 2011).
- The Experimental Group: Ilya Kabakov, Moscow Conceptualism, Soviet Avant-Gardes (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010).
- Review of Piotr Piotrowski, In the Shadow of Yalta: Art and the Avant-Garde in Eastern Europe, 1945–1989. Slavonic & East European Review, January 2011.
- “maximum friction-confusion-love&sex-bathos.” In Tirdad Zolghadr, et al. eds., Internal Necessity: A Reader Tracing the Inner Logics of the Contemporary Art Field (Berlin: Sternberg, 2010), 156-158.
- Review of Victor Tupitsyn, The Museological Unconscious: Communal (Post) Modernism in Russia. Third Text, volume 24, issue 4 (2010): 505-506.
- “The Category of ‘Contemporary Art’ is Not New…” October 130 (Fall 2009), 84-87.
- Review of "The Quick and the Dead at the Walker Art Center," Artforum International (November 2009), 218-219.
- “Transcript of a Conversation in David Schutter’s Studio, 4 October 2008,” in David Schutter: Repertory (Chicago: Tony Wight Gallery, 2008), 53-57.
- Review of Boris Groys, Art Power, Bookforum (June/July/August 2008), 62.
- “Never Bring a Labor-Saving Device to a Labor-Saturated Place: On Catherine Sullivan’s Triangle of Need,” on Adaptation website (Chicago: Smart Art Museum, 2008).
- “Conversations with God.” In James Elkins and Michael Newman, eds., The State of Art Criticism (New York and London: Routledge, 2007), pp. 328-331.
- “Continuing Aesthetic Education.” In Amy Ingrid Schlegel, ed., Ilya and Emilia Kabakov: The Center of Cosmic Energy (Tufts University Art Museum/DAP: New York, 2007), pp. 28-37.
- “Para-Performative Practices and Late Modernism: On Contemporary Art and the Museum,” Museum International, volume 59, number 3 (September 2007), 41-51.
- “Slow Difficulty: An Exchange with Charles Harrison,” InterReview 9 (fall 2007), 1-8; ; reprinted in Charles Harrison, Looking Back (London: Ridinghouse/RAM, 2011).
- “The Greatest Artist of the Twentieth Century?” BlackBook Magazine (October/November, 2006).
- “Managing the Avant-Garde,” New Left Review (March/April 2005), 105-116; appears in Spanish translation as “La gestión de la vanguardia,” New Left Review 32 (May/June 2005); in Turkish translation as “Avangardi Yönetmek” in New Left 2005: Turkiye Seckisi (London: Verso, 2006); a revised version appears in The Uncertain States of America Reader, Brian Shollis and Noah Horowitz, eds. (New York: Sternberg Press, 2006), 52-59; and in Other Worlds: Selections from New Left Review 4, Susan Watkins, ed. (Calcutta: Seagull Books, 2006).
- “Alternative Artists AT ‘Alternative’ Institutions,” in An Alternative History of Art, Jill Snyder, ed. (Cleveland Museum of Contemporary Art/DAP, 2005), pp. 211-213.
- “Rachel Harrison,” exhibition review, CAA Reviews (April 2005).
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley.