Department of Cinema and Media Studies
The Attractions of the Moving Image: A Celebration of Tom Gunning
The Department of Cinema and Media Studies invites you to help us celebrate the career and achievements of Tom Gunning on Friday October 25 and Saturday October 26. With presentations from an exciting array of scholars and filmmakers, we’ll celebrate Tom with a unique conversation around the art of the moving image, in all its historical, theoretical, and aesthetic registers.
Friday October 25
- 9:00AM – Breakfast and Opening Remarks
- 9:30AM – Session 1: Dudley Andrew, Noa Steimatsky, Murray Pomerance
- 11:30AM – Session 2: Jan Olsson, Thomas Elsaesser, Jennifer Bean
- 2:30PM – Session 3: Giovanna Fossati, Synne Bull + Dragan Miletic, Travis Preston
- 4:30PM – Session 4: Marketa Uhlirova, William Paul, Vivian Sobchack
- 6:00PM – Reception in Logan Center room 801
- 7:30PM – Screening of 7th Heaven (Frank Borzage, 1927)
Saturday October 26
- 9:30AM – Breakfast and Opening Remarks
- 10:00AM – Session 5: André Gaudreault, Charles Musser, Yuri Tsivian
- 1:30PM – Open Mic: Celebrating Tom!
- 4:00PM – Screenings: Ken Jacobs, Joan Mitchell: Departures (2019); Ernie Gehr, Wait (1968); Jodie Mack, Razzle Dazzle (2014) and Wasteland No. 2: Hardy, Hearty (2019); Marc Downie + Paul Kaiser, Revelation Machine (2019); Lewis Klahr, Daylight Moon (2002) and Monogram (2019)
- 7:30PM – Reception at Experimental Station
For more information visit https://cms.uchicago.edu/.
This event is made possible with generous support from the Division of the Humanities; the Office of the Provost; the Film Studies Center; the Gray Center for Arts And Inquiry; the Karla Scherer Center for the Study of American Culture; the Nicholson Center for British Studies; the Center for East Asian Studies; Critical Inquiry; The Committee on Social Thought; the Committee of South Asian Studies; the Committee on Theater and Performance Studies; the Department of Art Hisotry; the Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations; the Department of English Language and Literature; the Department of Germanic Studies; the Department of Music; and the Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures